Share the grandeur and charm of a three hour steam train journey through the scenic vista of the Dandenong Ranges together with family and friends! Select from a Three Course Menu or graze over our Natter Platter - a great meal to share.
The 'Steam & Cuisine Luncheon Train' departs daily (except Christmas Day) at 12.30pm and arrives at Lakeside Station located in Emerald Lake Park an hour later.
Emerald Lake Park's attractions include leisurely walking trails, picturesque Emerald Lake, paddle boats and abundant bird life. You are welcome to step off the train whilst it sits at the station and have a look around.
After the approximately 45 minute break, the 'Steam & Cuisine Luncheon Train' starts its return journey to Belgrave Station, arriving at 3.30pm.
A range of local wines and drinks can be purchased on board the train.
The 12.30pm Excursion Train departure from Belgrave station includes the First Class dining carriages for the patrons travelling on the 'Steam & Cuisine Luncheon Train'.
BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL.
Option 1: Three Course Menu
$95.00 Adult Fare per person
$85.00 Concession / Child (5-16 yrs) Fare per person
Includes: Three course meal, tea and coffee and train journey Belgrave to Lakeside return. A range of beverages including local wines are available for purchase.
Note: You need to advise which menu choices you prefer at time of booking.
Make sure you know which entree, main and dessert each person in your party would like.
Option 2: Natter Platter
- $72.00 Adult Fare per person
- $65.00 Concession / Child (5-16 yrs) Fare per person
Includes: Natter Platter, dessert, tea and coffee and train journey Belgrave to Lakeside return. A range of beverages including local wines are available for purchase.
WHAT VISITORS SAY ABOUT THE 'STEAM & CUISINE LUNCHEON TRAIN'...
"We had a lovely outing and the weather luckily was very kind (not that I think it would have mattered). A nice atmosphere to do a catch up with friends. Staff were ever so polite and attentive. Thank you". Agnese
"Thank you for making my partner's birthday a special day we will always remember. Magnificent old steam train and fabulous classic dining car, beautiful scenery, delicious food, great service, wonderful wildlife, we will definitely recommend this fantastic experience to family and friends". Mark
"Thank you for making birthday celebration so special. All the guests had a wonderful time, and the food was lovely, especially the scones - everyone raved about them. The Coeliac also appreciated the special food. The carriage was lovely, and I was especially pleased that you were able to fit our group into the one carriage". Sally travelled in May
"Our interstate guests were so impressed about the puffing Billy Luncheon; they were busy phoning friends in NSW to tell them of their experience. Needless to say, we being Victorians were proud to be able to offer such an exclusive day's entertainment to our visitors". Rob travelled in May
Due to the heritage nature of our dining carriages, the table configurations can seat up to two (2) or up to four (4) people. If your party consists of more than 4 people, we will do our best to ensure your tables are located close to each other.
CARRIAGE SEAT DIMENSIONS
Our heritage dining carriages have tables and chairs that are fixed to the floor and cannot be moved. As a result, people of generous proportions could find seating in the dining carriages restrictive. Please note that the distance between the edge of the table and the back of the chair is only 41 centimetres. To ensure you have a positive experience at Puffing Billy Railway we strongly urge you to contact our Customer Service Centre should you have any concerns.
SPECIAL DIETARY REQUIREMENTS
Puffing Billy Railway can only cater for the following special dietary requirements for the Three Course Menu:
- gluten free / celiacs
Kindly ensure you advise us at least 72 hours prior to travel should you have one of the above dietary requirements. If booking online, please let us know in the "Notes" box when completing your booking.
Please note, special dietary options are not available for the Natter Platter.
PASSENGERS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Passengers with Special Needs (eg wheel chair access) must contact Puffing Billy’s Customer Service Centre rather than book online. This way we can determine whether your needs can be accommodated.
If booking for the next day, please note bookings via the website are only available until 4pm the business day before, subject to availability.
Steam & Cuisine gift vouchers are available and make an ideal gift for that special occasion. For further details please contact our Customer Service Centre or purchase gift vouchers online for the Three Course Menu or Natter Platter.
- Special dietary requirements are available on 72 hours prior notice.
- A liquor service featuring local wine is available on board at reasonable prices.
- We practice the Responsible Serving of Alcoholic Beverages. Accordingly, service and/or travel on the train, either at the commencement of or during the forward or return journey, may be refused to any person who shows signs of excessive intoxication.
- Puffing Billy Railway is a non BYO venue.
- A child fare is aged from 5-16 years inclusive. We do welcome children in our heritage dining carriages and can accommodate children aged 5 years and above. These age restrictions have been carefully considered in the interests of health and safety.
- Concession fares are available to bearers of Australian Health Care, Student, Seniors, Companion or Pensioner cards. Your card may be required on day of travel for verification purposes.
- Smoking is not permitted on the train or under any roofed areas.
- Unless already sold out, the 'Steam & Cuisine Luncheon Train' bookings will close at 4pm on the last business day prior to the day of travel.
- Tickets are non refundable nor transferable.
- Trains and events will NOT be cancelled due to inclement weather.
- Whilst every attempt is made to honour all bookings, Puffing Billy Railway reserves the right to alter events, timetables or locomotives without prior notice.
- On declared days of TOTAL FIRE BAN in the Central Zone or the whole state of Victoria, steam locomotives will not run, instead the train will be operated by a diesel locomotive.
- Should Puffing Billy Railway be unable to run this train, we will endeavour to transfer your booking to another date, however if this is not possible, a full refund will be given. In this instance, we will notify you of the cancellation by email and phone as soon as possible. As a result, we encourage you to provide us with your email address and a mobile telephone number at the time of booking.
- Due to the heritage nature of the carriages, we do not have facilities to provide for or accommodate high chairs, prams, baby capsules or wheelchairs and there are no bottle warming facilities or baby change facilities.
- No toilets are available aboard Puffing Billy's carriages, however toilets can be found at each main station.
- Our heritage dining carriages have tables and chairs that are fixed to the floor and cannot be moved. As a result, people of generous proportions could find seating in the dining carriages restrictive. Please note that the distance between the edge of the table and the back of the chair is only 41 centimetres. To ensure you have a positive experience at Puffing Billy Railway we strongly urge you to contact our Customer Service Centre should you have any concerns.
- Guide dogs are the only dogs permitted on the train.
- For bookings under 10 people, full payment is required at time of booking.
- For all online bookings, full payment is required at time of booking.
- For group bookings of 10 or more people, a deposit payment of $25.00 per person is required at time of booking, however if the booking is made within 30 working days of travel, full payment is required.
Balance payment is required 30 working days prior to date of travel.
- For bookings under 10 people, tickets are non refundable nor transferable.
- For all online bookings, tickets are non refundable nor transferable.
- For group bookings of 10 or more people:
- If a cancellation is made within 30 working days of travel, no refund will be given.
- If a cancellation is made 31 – 90 days out, the deposit is forfeited.
- If a cancellation is made over 90 days out, the deposit is refunded less a 10% administration fee.
Send Us your Puffing Billy Photo.
Gift Vouchers for Christmas
Purchase online now!