Great Train Race
This year's Great Train Race will take place on Sunday 3 May 2015. The race begins in Belgrave at 9.30am. Online entries will open on Tuesday 10 February.
The Great Train Races isn't simply a race amongst the competitors - it's an exciting challenge competing against the steam locomotive, Puffing Billy!
The race route extends 13.5 km's through the hills and fern gullies of the picturesque Dandenong Ranges from Belgrave to Emerald Lake Park. The continual popularity of this unique run makes the Great Train Race an event not to be missed.
The Great Train Race is organised by Puffing Billy Railway volunteers. All proceeds and any additional donations go towards the restoration of the NGG16 127 Garratt locomotive.
THE GREAT TRAIN RACE ENTRIES WILL OPEN ON TUESDAY 10 FEBRUARY 2015
Child (13-16 years)
We anticipate that the entries will be fully subscribed within 7-10 days of opening, so enter early to avoid disappointment.
Race Train Tickets
There are two Race Trains, each with a capacity of 300 passengers per train. Please note that these tickets will sell out within 48 hours of entries opening!
Important race information
- RFID timing and a seeded start (to ensure runners' safety) will again be implemented. The allocation of places in the seeded groups are on a first come, first served basis, so ensure you register online as soon as entries have opened to avoid disappointment.
- To minimise the disruption to local traffic, 5 designated course timing points have been implemented. Runners need to reach these specific points by certain times to continue in the race.These are:
- Corner of Selby Aura Rd and Belgrave Gembrook Rd, Selby by 10am (30 minutes after the race start) - at the 2.8 km mark;
- Corner of Selby Aura Rd and School Rd, Menzies Creek by 10.30am (60 minutes after the race start) - at the 6.5 km mark;
- Emerald Rail Crossing on Belgrave Gembrook Rd by 11am (90 minutes after the race start) - at the 10.7 km mark;
- Crichton Rd, Emerald by 11.15am (105 minutes after the race start) - at the 11.7 km mark; and
- Finish Line by 11.30am (120 minutes after the race start).
- Route Map - Click here
- Elevation Map of the Race Route - Download here - compliments of Cool Runnings website.
- Road map of the Race Route - Download here
Update or check your details
Click here to check that we have your current email address. You will need to know your Person ID number which is located on your 2013 or 2014 Race Certificate.
Join the Great Train Race mailing list
If you have never run in the Great Train Race but would like to be added to our mailing list, please click here. That way, you'll receive race notifications, including when entries open for the 2015 Great Train Race.
Race results and certificates
Click here to retrieve your results and your certificate from the 2014 Great Train Race.
Phone: (03) 9757 0775 (+61 3 9757 0775 Int'l)
2014 Great Train Race Photo Gallery
Gift Vouchers for Christmas
Purchase online now!